Fall ... cops examine balcony at North Bank apartments
A TWO-YEAR-OLD girl has died after falling from a fourth-floor glass balcony that angry residents claim was not fixed since vandals smashed it up.
Baseem Alsabbagh, 36, said the girl — named locally as Rayaheem Banimuslim — was playing on the balcony when she fell yesterday.
He said her mother was with her, adding: “She watched her fall down.”
He also claimed the family was from Iraq and the father, Hikmat, was studying for a PhD at Sheffield Hallam University. He said the family moved to the block of flats last September.
He added: “They are heartbroken. She was a lovely, beautiful baby.
“I can’t describe it. She was playing with other kids nicely. Her mother saw her fall down.”
The youngster was taken to hospital where she died of her injuries. A police spokesman said they were investigating the incident in Sheffield.
It is thought a pane of glass on the communal balcony at the £20million block had not been repaired since being broken a few weeks ago.
Angry residents at the 132-flat complex said several panes were affected and were either left or boarded up temporarily.
Richard Manley, who lives on the fourth floor, said: "I’m shocked but it’s tempered more with anger. I’m just so angry about this.
“It’s now been boarded up but why wasn’t it boarded up before now when it was first broken.
“Maybe this little girl’s death might not have happened and some poor mother would not be living with the terrible tragedy that she is having to deal with today.
“I hope whoever did this or broke this can live with themselves knowing that they have the death of a three-year-old girl on their conscience.”
A police spokesman told a newspaper: “A child has fallen from a balcony, it was a female child aged three who has died.
“I am led to believe the balcony was on the fourth floor, and was one of the communal balconies at North Bank.
“As far as I am aware this is being treated as a tragic accident at this stage.
"The child was a resident at the flats, with her family.
“The relatives were taken to the hospital where they are with our family liaison officer.
“An investigation will ensue but we are treating it as a tragic accident.”
Source of this http://www.thesun.co.uk